Holiday Foods and Decor that are Hazardous to Pets

15393011_1530056297007951_7778721673954047695_o
(Photo courtesy of Kayla Lawrence)

With the holiday season approaching, many of you are asking our veterinarians what is not safe to feed your pets for a special holiday dinner. There are many foods that we want to allow our pets to indulge in during the holidays, but not all of them are safe for consumption. Here are a few things to keep in mind in the upcoming holiday season.

Candy; especially chocolate can be deadly. Chocolate contains a chemical compound called theobromine. Theobromine is a substance that can be toxic to pets; whether it be ingested in large or small amounts.

  • Don’t feed your pet leftovers. Leftovers that contain high amounts of fat can cause intestinal injury, upset stomach, diarrhea and/or vomiting. An alternative to feeding your pet table food is baking homemade dog and cat treats.
  • Bones are especially bad to feed your pets. Although, we buy bones from local pet stores such as PetSmart, Petsense or Petco; bones from our holiday birds are not to be ingested. The bones from turkey’s and chickens are small enough that they are dangerous and can cause intestinal blockage and upset stomach. Bones that have been cooked are also more likely to splinter and can break off into smaller pieces inside the intestinal tract.
  • As Christmas is approaching; one of the most common flowers to decorate our houses with are Poinsettias.  If you have feline family members, you may want to skip out on the real Poinsettias this year. Real Poinsettia flowers are poisonous and can be lethal to our feline companions.

On behalf of everyone here at Companion Animal Hospital; we hope you have a fun and safe Holiday season!